Undefeated boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Friday avoided jail time until June 1 in a Las Vegas domestic violence case involving an attack on his ex-girlfriend while two of their children watched in September 2010.
Mayweather, 34, had been scheduled to turn himself in Friday to begin serving a 90-day sentence imposed last month.
Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa said she weighed Mayweather's contractual obligations to a fight set for May at MGM Grand in Las Vegas against an as-yet unnamed opponent. (MORE>>>)
Leonard Ellerbe, adviser to WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., doesn't see a reason for Manny Pacquiao to stage an immediate fourth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Pacquaio won a controversial twelve round majority decision over Marquez. Mayweather plans to fight on May 5 at the MGM Grand, and negotiations for a Pacquiao fight were set to begin, but now the Filipino superstar and his promotional team, Top Rank, are going to pursue a fourth clash with Marquez instead. (MORE>>>)
promoter said Monday that the Filipino superstar prefers a fourth fight
against Juan Manuel Marquez to a super-fight against Floyd Mayweather
"That fight [Mayweather] can still be there for us in November ," Bob Arum told The Times.
That position brought a strong reaction from rival promoter and former fighter Oscar De La Hoya, who helps promote Mayweather and said the 42-0 welterweight champion has already reserved May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for boxing's dream fight. (MORE>>>)
The latest round of negotiations for the potential megafight between welterweight champions Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are over before they have even begun.
Leonard Ellerbe, one of Mayweather's advisors, and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer both told ESPN.com Monday that they were notified that Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank was not interested in coming to the table.
"We have been informed that Bob Arum is not interested in pursuing a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao at this time," Schaefer said.
Mayweather knocked out Victor Ortiz in his return to the ring after 16 months off in September, and Pacquiao eked out a controversial majority decision against rival Juan Manuel Marquez in their third meeting Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. (MORE>>>)
So much for the expected Pacquiao rout over his great rival Marquez. A huge betting favorite, Pacquiao, who has been on an incredible roll in recent years, was expected to handle Marquez decisively, mainly because he was moving up to welterweight (well, actually to the 144-pound catch weight maximum) for the second time in his career, and we all know what happened the first time: Floyd Mayweather Jr. bulldozed him over 12 uncompetitive rounds. Marquez is also 38 now and, besides a farcical first-round knockout of a tomato can in July, he had not fought since struggling to a ninth-round knockout of Michael Katsidis in a lightweight title defense last November. But the three-division champion showed once again that he is the consummate Mexican warrior and still one of the very best fighters in the world. He gave Pacquiao, the 32-year-old Filipino icon, everything he could possibly handle. As usual. They have now waged 36 incredibly close rounds over three terrific fights in one of boxing's greatest trilogies. It was fitting that Pacquiao-Marquez III took place in the midst of tributes to the great Joe Frazier, who died earlier in the week and was part of boxing's all-time greatest trilogy with Muhammad Ali. (MORE>>>)
Boxing adviser Leonard Ellerbe has revealed that WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KOs) intends to defend his belt on May 5 and the MGM Grand in Las Vegas has been placed on hold. On September 17th, Mayweather returned from a 16-month layoff to stop Victor Ortiz in four rounds.
Ellerbe told ESPN.com that WBO champion Manny Pacquiao is the main
target for the fight. The two sides have tried to negotiate a fight in
the past but the talks have fallen apart more than a few times. The
biggest issue, which still remains outstanding, is each side agreeing to
a random drug testing protocol. (MORE>>>)
There are words we, as writers, are guilty of overusing. Genius is one. Electrifying is another.
In boxing, there's another word tossed around too often: Crossroads. It seems like every time a middle aged (by boxing standards) fighter who has been slumping lately gets in the ring, it's a crossroads fight. The rhetoric is always that if the fighter loses, his entire career could be in jeopardy. Sometimes it's true: Shane Mosley's fight with Manny Pacquiao last May was a true crossroads fight for Mosley. Other times, it's not. Glen Johnson will challenge Lucian Bute for the IBF super middleweight title on Saturday night. By my count, this will be the 42-year old Johnson's 15th straight crossroads fight.
On Saturday, there is another fight that I think does deserve the title, for both fighters: James Kirkland vs. Alfredo Angulo, who will face off in a junior middleweight title eliminator in Cancun, Mexico (HBO, 10:15 p.m.). (MORE>>>)
Timothy Bradley decided he needed new promoters while driving through the deserted streets of frigid Detroit in a rented van last January.
The undefeated 140-pound champion from the California desert couldn't fathom why he had to defend his title in Michigan's dilapidated, cavernous Silverdome in the dead of winter. He also couldn't understand why his opponent, Devon Alexander, was rolling in a limousine. ''Not that those things matter, but I didn't feel like a champion,'' Bradley said. Eight months later, Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs) has joined industry leader Top Rank, which believes the personable Palm Springs brawler should be a superstar. He'll fight veteran Joel Casamayor on Nov. 12 on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas. He's widely expected to be Pacquiao's next opponent if Floyd Mayweather Jr. again refuses the bout. (MORE>>>)